Making a quilt isn’t all just about the piecing, obviously. How you quilt it is also an important consideration that can add an extra dimension to any quilt. Free motion quilting is one of those phrases that divide quilters – some of us say ‘yes please!’, others are ‘no way!’. Whether you choose to do straight line or free motion quilting, or hand quilt or send your quilts to your trusty longarmer, it’s important to consider how the quilting will enhance the design. The quilts in this issue of MM showcase some gorgeous quilting that’ll inspire you.
This issue we MEET Sarah Elizabeth Sharp from No Hats in the House, Sylvia Schaefer from Flying Parrot Quilts and HollyAnne Knight from String and Story – three amazing quilters who are inspirational in sharing their skills with the rest of us. We MAKE hexagons and HSTs, flying geese, 3D flowers, and a patchwork picnic rug which folds to become a bag! And we MOTIVATE you to sew those scraps!
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or ￡5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Rainbow Steps Quilt by Jo Westfoot (@thecraftynomadfleet)
- Swallow Tailed Kite Quilt by Amanda McCabe (@jamesandgraciehandmade)
- Emberlilly Quilt by Missy Winona & Kimie Tanner (@onwilliamsstreet)
- Briar Rose Quilt by Patty Dudek (@elmstreetquilts)
- Inverted Pink Star Quilt by Sylvia Schaefer (@flyingparrotquilts)
- Scrappy Nine Patch Quilt by Pat Forster
- Three Pane’s a Charm Quilt by Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Waterproof Picnic Blanket by Monika Henry (@pennyspoolquilts)
- Wrigley Pillow by Shannon Trimper (@justasimplestitch)
- Modern 3D Flower Quilt by Jackie White (@jackiewhitequilts)
- Pretty Pineapples Pillow by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Medley Medallion Sampler Quilt Part 3 by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Scraps and How to Use Them by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Prototyping & the Creative Process by Laura Henneberry (@commonwealthquilts)
- Honest Fabric from Karlee Porter (@honestfabric)
- Gallery: Pineapple Quilt Swap from Sharon Hurrey (@shoppershaz_swaphost)
- Meet the Maker: Sarah Elizabeth Sharp (@nohatsquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Sylvia Schaefer (@flyingparrotquilts)
- Meet the Maker: HollyAnne Knight from String and Story (@stringandstory)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Hexie Time
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): SMART goals
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Making a Quilting Plan
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: How do you store your scraps? And how do you use them?